What are the ingredients for a perfect fake tan?
- Exfoliator. The day before your tan exfoliate away any dead skin. There are some great exfoliating gloves on the high street. You can simply squirt your favourite shower product into your gloved hands and get scrubbing away in circular motions moving in the direction of the heart. This helps move any built up toxins to the closest lymph nodes which then remove the toxins from your body. This technique is great for the reduction of cellulite.
- Application of tan. I don't know about any one else but I'm not really fussed on tan applicator mitts. They are okay but some feel ikky on my skin and the feeling goes through me. A fab little tip a friend told me whilst we were training in college was to use socks. Basically get your self some latex gloves and then pop two socks over the top and use these like you would your tanning mitt. Now there are many ways to apply your tan. Personally I find it better to firstly apply a really thin layer, making sure you don't forget areas such as the elbows or backs of knees, and leave it dry for 10 minutes or so. Another great tip is to dry yourself off quicker with a hair dryer. Then apply a thicker layer and pat over it with your sock covered hand to get an even layer on your skin. Obviously avoid wearing a bra after you have tanned or had a spray tan.
- How to prevent streaks. Talcum powder is your best friend here. Areas of the body where there can be skin to skin contact or areas that rub against clothes can sometimes be a nightmare to tan and the tan may rub off before it has had chance to develop. I find the worst areas are the underarms, backs of knees, inbetween the thighs, inner elbow crease, under the boobs and under the bum. However it is up to you where you apply. This will give a dry feel to the area and prevent the tan from wearing off before it has developed. I have tried this technique with many different tans and it hasn't affected the developed colour at all. The best and easiest way to apply the tan is to place some talc in a small bowl and pat on gently with a big soft bronzer brush and blow off excess.
Here is a list of the top 10 tips!!
1. If you’re a tanning junkie, make sure you exfoliate regularly to avoid build up as several layers of tan can result in an uneven result.
2. If you’re waxing or shaving before tanning, make sure you do it more than 24 hours before your tan.
3. When you’re tanning give yourself a good all-over polish and apply plenty of moisturiser the night before to get your skin as silky as possible. The most common cause of a patchy tan is dry skin, so it’s crucial to moisturise problem areas (wrists and hands, elbows, knees, ankles and feet) immediately prior to self tan application.
4. Keep palms tan-free – try using latex gloves or our applicator mitt when applying, then simply sweep the backs of the hands with self tan diluted with moisturiser. Tan Remover– which you can use for up to four hours after tanning – removes any unwanted tan.
5. When you’re applying your tan, make sure you’re covered all over. Don’t worry if you go over the same area twice – the tan will only be patchy if you miss a bit, not if you double up.
6. Make sure you don’t rub in your gradual or self tan. Gentle smoothing is all you need, then you can let the product do its work. Rubbing may make the finish uneven.
7. Try to avoid washing your hands for as long as possible in the development time – a minimum of 2 hours. Try a hand sanitiser or wipes instead.
8. Your tan won’t get deeper the longer you leave it – once it’s been on for the required amount of time (check the pack) it will have given you the natural-looking golden colour you’re after. For a deeper tan you should re-apply on successive days – 2 – 3 days in a row will give you a really deep, rich bronze tan.
9. When you’ve applied your tan wear loose, dark clothing and avoid tight-fitting underwear. Anything that’s pressing on the skin may make the results a bit patchy.
10. The hands and face will fade quicker than the rest of the body so apply facial tan to the face and the backs of the hands to keep your tan looking fresher for longer. For a colour boost for the rest of the body, try using St Tropez Self Tan Intensifier every 2-3 days - but don’t forget to polish and moisturise, too, or your colour won’t fade evenly...
Now that isn't too hard to keep in mind. I hope these tips work for you!!
Lots of Love Aimie xxxx